[Gmecm] '730, '749, '727 EPROM image/memcal compatibility?

Tomas J. Sokorai Sch. tsokorai
Thu Sep 15 22:26:21 UTC 2005

On Thursday 15 September 2005 17:47, rawardsr wrote:
> For the most part, yes.  At least with the 727 and 730.  The 749 is
> somewhat different with having the second injector driver circuit
> populated, but has a quad output driver left off.

Thanks, the bin interchangeability between 727s and 730s is what I'm most
interested anyway.

> That all depends on what size eprom you are using.  Since I use a 32K
> eprom, and use 16K code, yes I either double the bin file to 32K or
> place it (16K) into the upper half of the eprom (start at $4000).

I guessed OK then....

> > And the resistor network from a very different app? what happens if I
> > want to use a memcal from a 8cyl to make a 6cyl adaption or even 4cyl? (I
> > don't care about the detonation sensor filter circuitry).
>
> Not recommended.   Bob

"Not recommended" as in "won't run at all" or "make tuning impossible", or
just as in "you'll loose the fail-safe mode"?

The thing is that I scored a cheap-cheap 727 on ebay, with a 32K memcal from a
V6 3.1 T, and I want to use it maybe on a BMW 2.3L 6 cyl. or a 4cyl 2.0L Opel
engine. Or maybe to upgrade to PFI my 302 that I recently ugraded from carb
to TBI. (In few words, I bought a 727 just to play ;)

Too bad memcals are impossible to get over here from local junkyards :( and on
eBay most are
a) hideously expensive
b) inside the ECM (what kills me is the overseas shipping of the whole
package)
c) hacked and stupidly expensive.

--
Tomas J. Sokorai Sch.