[Gmecm] Re: Fuel Economy

Tom Prucha tprucha
Sat Sep 24 06:24:17 UTC 2005

In 1987 I purchased several TiO2 sensors from NTK for my 87 Regal T 3.8L
turbo.  These were 18mm units mechanically configured like the factory
GM sensor but with a heater.  I was interested because of the lead
tolerance characteristics for when the car was used off-road (I like to
drag race). An NTK engineer set me up with a translation provision to
convert the signal to the standard 0 to 1 V configuration by using a
single resistor. If I recall correctly, Zirconia sensors are voltage
producing sensors and Titania sensors are current producing devices. The
resistor to ground was used to convert the current signal to a 0 to 1v
signal. I think it was a 10K Ohm resistor, if I recall correctly. The
value of the resistor sets the voltage range AND can provide a slight
shift of the effective switch point.

GM was considering the TiO2 device due to problems with fuel
contamination in the mid 1980s.  NTK made a batch of these for a GM
evaluation and they never bought them all. I bought about 50 of these
(the remainder of the unused batch) and sold all but a few that I kept
for myself (sold and used for off-road use only of course).  The same
sensor was made in 12mm too and I believe it did make into production on
a Nissan Pathfinder, but none of the 18mm units were ever made for a
production application.  The NTK engineer also set me up with 12mm to
18mm adapters so the production units could be used, but I never did use
any 12mm sensors.  I have no idea what a modern day TiO2 would be
configured like electrically or mechanically, but all the 1987 vintage
NTK TiO2 units needed was a resistor to adapt to a GM ECM.

I burned a few of the sensors over the course of over 200K miles since
the car was new.  The sensing head on the sensor was smaller than stock,
allowing a smaller exhaust obstruction (very cool). I managed to burn a
little whole in the shield with a leanout on a few occasions, retiring
the sensor. I think I am still on my 3rd sensor in all those miles and
years.  I still run a TiO2 sensor in my car today, but the car is "down"
right now with a transmission problem.

Tom