[Gmecm] Tuning a larger MAF on L98

Mike Poore mp
Tue Sep 27 05:50:42 UTC 2005

I have a heavily modified 85 L98 engine. I fabricated a new MAF housing
and ducting from the throttle body to the air cleaner. I removed the oem
sensor from its housing and installed it in my fabricated one. I don't
have the exact measurements handy, but the new MAF will flow about
double the stick unit. The engine idles well, but has a severe
hesitation when opening the throttle. The faster you open the throttle
the worse the hesitation. Obviously, it needs more fuel, but what is the
best way to compensate?

1. Increase fuel enrichment, or
2. Modify the MAF to better reflect actual flow.

I have Mastertune and GME for editing. I am trying to figure out what
exactly I need to change to get more fuel when the throttle opens. Any
advice?

I looked at modifying the output of the MAF. My understanding is that as
airflow increases, so does voltage. If the new MAF housing has fifty
percent more area than old, how much do I raise the voltage? Any
suggestions on how to send a voltage to the ecm that more accurately
reflects air flow. Ideally, something adjustable would be great. I wish
I knew more about electronic circuits because this is probably very
easy. I also think that this would the better approach because it should
not require so many other prom agjustments.

Thanks for any input,

Mike