Was: [Gmecm] P6 ECM information? Now: Cadillac ECM info

William Lucke william.lucke
Wed Apr 12 17:13:46 UTC 2006

I was under the impression that fundamentally there wasn't much
difference between ISM and IAC operation. IE, both devices are stepper
motors. The only big difference is the nose switch in the end of the ISM
which closes when the driver lifts off the throttle and tells the
computer that it needs to be controlling idle. IOW, an IAC ECM ought to
be able to control an ISM engine, but an ISM ECM won't be able to
control an IAC engine unless provision is made for a "throttle closed"
switch to tell the computer when to operate the idle device.
At least, that is my understanding of how the systems work.

Will