[Gmecm] How to wire Timing Bypass on 4-Cyl 151 Iron Duke?

Aphelion79 aphelion79
Fri Aug 4 04:13:34 UTC 2006

Hey, remember me? The newbie with the 4-Cyl 151 Iron Duke and the CJ7?
Well anyway, I'm finally able to start working on my Heep again... and
am curious as to how to set the timing on this thing...

Now, all vehicles have some sort of timing advance... on carburated
engines (just spilling out how I understand it... correct me if I'm
wrong with anything) you unplug the vacuum advance hose and plug the
port as to not cause any vacuum leaks... and set the timing... on a
TBI'ed vehicle... there is a special wire that has an in-line coupler
that allows you do disconnect the signal sent to the Distributor for the
electronic advance... unplug that, set timing.. yadda yadda

But here's my problem:
On a 88 Chevy S-10 Pickup, "there is a black/red wire under the
passenger's side floorboard that you can disconnect and then set the
timing"... well... I obviously do NOT have an S-10... nor any wires
inside of the firewall as I just spliced most of the wires off that went
to the fusebox... and I've followed diagrams of the ECU pins and could
not find any mention of this special wire... However... on GM-ECM I
found a schematic for the 7747 ECM
<ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/manuals/1227747/747ecm6.jpg>
(ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/manuals/1227747/747ecm6.jpg) -which is
NOT the ECM I have... (if this information is current, got this from an
old post I made a while back on a different forum:) mine is:

SVC# 16198445
Barcode:
866647W643273117
Chip Inside:
ACKD 4890

The previous link to the 7747 indicates the TAN/BLK wire right off the
distributor controls the timing bypass... now I've disassembled my
wonderfuly sexy wiring loom and traced all 4 wires that come off of the
distributor...and each one of them goes DIRECTLY into the ECM... none
have any splices in them as well or any disconnects in-line... Would
splicing into the wire, and creating my own quick connect/disconnect
in-line plug right at the 4-pin connector off the distributor be a good
way to do this or am I missing something? I could simply "just try it"
but I wanted to run this by you all first... you guys seem to know more
about this stuff than any of us on JeepForum

Thanks again... !! By the way... the Jeep runs... haven't started it up
in 2 months and it fired right up... however it idles a bit rough and
doesn't have very much power at all... so I figured timing would be the
issue! I previously set the timing by luck by putting it at top dead
center... unplugging the whole entire 4 pin connector off of the
distributor -which doesn't allow the engine to run- and had a helper
eyeball it to 0* and plugged it back in...

Anyway, enough length on this... any other questions or things I should
look at let me know!