[Gmecm] TBI - TPI swap ??

Denny dennysweet
Tue Aug 22 03:20:44 UTC 2006

Hi Ake, I think you have a great idea to use the TPI,but as Steve has wrote
it is a little tough for the first project. I have a old Chevy truck that
has a Vortec 350 motor that I went thru the same thing with. I started out
with a TPI unit from a 89 Camaro. Problems I ran into is 1) You will lose
alot of torque on the low side of the rpm scale with TPI, 2) I tryed to make
a stock wiring harness work, it dosent. So be prepared to purchase a custom
harness w/ matching ecm. 730 is the ECM I have. 3) For performance, The TBI
I run now outperformed the TPI by a large margin. Tuned Port Injection is
pretty impressive to look at but you cant get a lot of power after 5500 rpm
and you lose a great amount of torque on the lower end of the RPM scale.
So if your not looking for a system to perform well then use the TPI unit.
However if you want a injection system for offroad,hill climbing or playing
in the Mud stick with the TBI.
Just my 2 cents
Denny