[Gmecm] TBI - TPI swap ??

Steve Ravet Steve.Ravet
Mon Aug 21 21:30:24 UTC 2006

Hi Ake, I wouldn't try to use the megasquirt and factory computer in parallel, that just sounds like a wiring mess.  Both computers are going to want to use lots of the same inputs, but you can't just take the MAP signal and send it to both computers.  Electrically it just doesn't work that way.

This sounds like your first project so you'll want to keep it as simple and close to stock as possible to increase your chance of success.  I think it makes sense to keep the TBI system.  That way most of your changes are just in the tuning, to compensate for the heads, cam, etc.

You'll have to get the part number for your computer off the box and then do some searching (or ask here) to find out if there is any tuning software for it.  A good place to start is tunercat.com.

Keep the TPI for later, if you decide to switch to it then what you've learned from tuning the fuel and ignition will carry over to tuning a TPI system also.  Others can comment on whether the TBI or TPI is more suitable for your truck.

--steve