[Gmecm] TBI - TPI swap ??

bcroe at juno.com bcroe
Tue Aug 22 02:12:55 UTC 2006

Actually it is possible to use the same sensor for more than
one unit in some cases.  For example, your factory computer
may have a temperature sensor which receives some power
from a pullup resistor.  A Megasquirt could be attached with
no pullup resistor, so it doesn't affect the voltage, then
program it up for thr factory curve.

I have a 79 Eldo with the factory Cad port injection.  The
sensors on this are completely incompatible with later
designs, so I just modified the (Olds small block) intake
manifold to accept a second set of sensors.  Now with a
new wiring harness, I can plug in about any ECU I want
as well as the original (without opening the hood).  I have
used 3 different types so far.  The Cad HEI even had a
"cam sensor" output useful for sequential, though I would
like to devise something independent of that vacuum/weight
advance unit.  Olds has lots of bungs, but getting the
second throttle position sensor was a little tricky.  Intake
vacuum comes into the car, so it is just attached to the
MAP.  Bruce Roe