[Gmecm] ? about pre-efi gm ecm

Rick McLeod dunvegan
Sun Aug 27 01:09:25 UTC 2006

Getting ready to launch a new project: convert 1985 ElCamino 305 4BBL to EFI using TBI

The current engine uses a 1226865 ECM to control the engine ?? which is appears to be a vacuum control carburetor? I am not finding any reference to information regarding this ECM. I'm sure others have done this conversion, but here's my draft plan. If anyone has done this conversion, can they chime in w/ thier comments, please?

Use an ECM such as the 747 and a suitable bin, Painless harness, and the throttle body that 'matches' the bin/ECM chosen. Obviously, will need to ensure the sensors match, but this engine already has some in that it is an ECM engine w/ O2, so I assume (dangerously) that it has coolant, manifold pressure, knock (maybe) already that are suitable.

I'm open to suggestions and guidance to kick start me in selections, unfortuantely most all my experience is w/ the 165 on TPI L98's.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.