[Gmecm] TBI conversion

Jake Tucker jktucker
Fri Dec 1 00:53:52 UTC 2006

Bob,
	Just a few other tidbits I've learned from several conversions
(two TBI's, one TPI, and two vortec's, also two Holly Pro-jections :( ).
	You can use the stock intake instead of an adapter, but the
middle intake holes are at the wrong angle, and require a bit of work
with a grinder.  It doesn't look pretty, but it will work.  You're
better off using the adapter as stated in earlier e-mails.  Also, the
stock intake is known to crack.
	The painless harnesses are definitely easier.  However, they are
not for the budget conscious, and if you have a wiring diagram for the
TBI system, it's not too hard to convert a stock harness with a little
time and effort.
	Make sure you have an adequate alternator.  The stock ones from
a '69 vette don't provide enough juice, and it's best to upgrade to a
newer system.  The best choice is to get the entire serpentine setup off
a late model truck.  In fact, I have a friend with a complete serpentine
system off a '95 Chevy Truck including A/C.  We replaced that motor with
a vortec one.  He has the '95 harness, but it doesn't use the 747
computer, and the stock '95 computer was fried.  The '95 harness is
pretty stand-alone also, and would be nice for a retrofit since it has
an under-hood fuse and relay box.
	In my opinion, the biggest pain is the fuel system.  You will
need a return line to your tank, and provide a high pressure fuel pump.
I prefer to use a stock injected fuel tank, with the stock in-tank pump.
You can use an external pump, which is considerably easier, but they're
also more expensive, and noisier.  You will then have to work with fuel
lines.  The throttle body will have brass colored adapters that connect
to a special flare nut that I've only seen on GM fuel lines.  Some early
Cadillacs, which use the same throttle body, have a brass colored
adapter that connects to a standard inverted flare.  I don't know which
year, I just know that I found one in a junkyard once, and grabbed it
before I knew how rare it was.  On the fuel pump side, it will use the
same GM fuel line flare.  The supply line will be 3/8", and the return
will be 5/16".  From the throttle body to the frame rail, you can get
the stock unit, which will have the proper bends to drop the fuel lines
from the throttle body to the frame rail.  From there, you can use a
chunk of stock fuel line and cut it off and use a compression fitting to
connect it to some standard 3/8" line.  Remember to use a high pressure
fuel filter on the supply side at this point.  On the fuel tank side, if
you are using a stock tank, you can get some flexible fuel lines to
connect to the tank, then use some stubs from a stock fuel line and
compression fittings to get to the frame rail area above.  Most GM
vehicles used the same fittings in the late 80's and early 90's, so just
look for two rubber hoses (one of each size) that are long enough for
your installation.
	With the TBI system, the cam may be a slight issure, but if you
have a good idle at 800 RPM, it should be O.K.  You'll definitely need
to do some tuning, but there is a lot of expertise for that in this
forum.

Jake Tucker