[Gmecm] TBI conversion

davesnothereman at netscape.net davesnothereman
Fri Dec 1 01:18:27 UTC 2006

 -----Original Message-----
 From: dunvegan at sbcglobal.net
 To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
 Sent: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 11:59 AM
 Subject: Re: [Gmecm] TBI conversion

Painless VSS Adapter 60115 (gets 2PPM from mechanical speedo cable), car may

have an acceptable feed already since CCC may require one

Speedo cable spins 1000 rev per mile.  Speed sensor on back of speesometer

produces 2 pulses per cable revolution, or 2000 pulses per mile.  Output should not need buffering for 7747.

ThrottleBody from same size engine or modify cal on PROM to change inj size

PROM from same size engine (I can modify to suit)

Sensors/inputs: Knock, TPS, Temp, MAP, Spark, Speed

   I would intend to make a plate to mount fuses, relays, MAP, etc onto to make

installation clean

   * Knock sensor exists

   * TPS should be part of the TBI

   * Coolant sensor (this is still an outstanding question, will the existing

one suffice - I think so, if not acquire correct one)

Early CTS used a different form.  The connector looked similar to a knock sensor.

These sensors were not terribly reliable, although if you have one it has probably

proven itself by now.  Either the new or style will work with both carby and efi ecm.

   * MAP sensor (this is still an outstanding question, will probabally have to

acquire correct one) My sources show a valid 90 TBI 305 P/U part # as  OEM to be

16137939 but the parts houses show it to be 16137039, so am a little puzzled

here.

You almost have to try to get a wrong MAP sensor.  Any of the TBI V8 vehicles will

supply one which will work.

Zaphod

   * Vehicle has large HEI dizzy, so Painless harness should plug right up

   * VSS will be from the Painless VSS adapter or the existing speedo output to

CCC

The last area that I'm not yet sure of is EGR and AIR (not A/C):

* I'm hoping the existing EGR controls will adapt to the new ECM w/ little or no

changes.

* AIR, haven't spent much time under the hood yet, so I don't know what is there

in this area if any, may not need to go here at all. We'll wait to figure this

one out when I see if the hardware is ther now.