[Gmecm] comments on reorganizing lists

charles at taildragger.info charles
Tue Feb 7 16:51:34 UTC 2006

My opinion is probably not of much value since I don't contribute much to
this list, but my preference is for forums.  The big benefit is automatic
context-maintaining archiving and search capability.  Mailing list
archiving is almost worthless, so everyone has to ask the same questions
over and over.  Also, for those of us whose interests are cyclical (I'm
not always involved in an EFI project), mailing list are less apropriate
since we have to keep collecting E-mails or else unsubscribe and basically
lose everything.  Forums let us catch up and also not waste other peoples'
time as much with topics that have already been covered.

With forums you can also post pictures, which comes in handy sometimes.
Even if you can send pics on the mailing list, the archives will lose
them.

I manage a few lists myself and have found it difficult to convert to the
forum format from lists.  I guess some people just like to have the
content "pushed".  I've had limited success with hybrid mail/forum
systems.  There is an add-on for phpBB called mail2forum that will send
E-mails to the forum and mail out forum posts, but it is very limited in
several ways.  First, all the E-mails will dump into the same board on the
forum, so the typical categorization stuff is not really possible.
Second, only so much can be done to get the mails into the proper forum
threads.  In the end, an E-mail thread ends up split across multiple forum
threads in many cases.

I ended up using it anyway since I at least got a better archiving
capability out of it, and maybe people will slowly wean over to the forum.

FWIW