[Gmecm] comments on reorganizing lists

Gary Evans gary
Tue Feb 7 17:22:43 UTC 2006

I don't contribute to this list much either, but I do "listen" a lot.
I agree with that a froum style is superior for maintaining context
of threads and preserving past discussions. The ability to search for
answers to common questions is valuable.

On the other hand, I much prefer the "push" feature of an e-mail
based list. For the most part I just like to listen, and I am afraid
I would be unlikely to do that if I had to open my web browser and go
to a forum web site to check for new posts.

Perhaps a hybrid approach is best. I would be quite satisfied with a
forum system that optionally allowed email copies of posted messages
to be sent out. In my opinion, this could be a one-way function; the
ability to post messages to the forum via e-mail is not terribly
important to me, I could always go to the forum site to post if the
discussion warrants a reply.

-Gary