[Gmecm] TBI Swap - Iron Duke Tech IV

Ne14RoxCJ ne14roxcj
Wed Feb 15 14:09:56 UTC 2006

Found a lot if application info here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Iron_Duke_engine

Jeep started using their own 2.5l I-4 in '84. Those are the ones that had
the plastic VC's similar to the AMC I-6. The I-6 was the one notorious for
leaking VC's. The GM Iron Duke (Hurricane) was used from '80-83 in the CJ's.
I admit, I did have to replace VC gasket once in the 1 year I drove my jeep
with the Iron Duke, but that was shabby mechanic work after the engine was
rebuilt (but then, I have NEVER had a sheet-metal VC on a GM engine that
didn't leak until the centerbolts came along.) Google shows lots of info on
this little boat anchor and even after Buick put EFI on it and re-badged it
as the Tech 4.

Beau
P.S. The Iron Duke has the same bolt pattern as a Small-Block and a 10.5"
clutch from an older Camaro or Nova fits perfect. A 305 V8 was a very easy
swap with 3 times the power.

-----Original Message-----
From: gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org [mailto:gmecm-bounces at diy-efi.org] On Behalf
Of Dustin Lof
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 10:04 PM
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: Re: [Gmecm] TBI Swap - Iron Duke Tech IV

Does your donor car use a distributor with a cap,
rotor and a single coil mounted externally, or does it
have an aluminum plate with a module and 2 coils
bolted to it?

Do I recall some of those jeeps using a GM
distributor?

I know they use a lot of GM parts, But I know the
heads are not an exact interchange.  The 2.5l jeeps
had a plastic valve cover that was always
broke\leaking, it had to be replaced with the same
piece of junk that came off, a steel cover off of a
2.5 GM car, truck or whatever, the bolt holes dont
line up.  I just makes me wonder about the rest