[Gmecm] Bellhousing Design-Iron Duke

Jason M. galaxiecustom500
Fri Feb 17 15:39:47 UTC 2006

Well In my case I had planned to make one until finding the cheap TCI
adapter, at the time it was only an hour drive to summit racing to pick it
up.  Lucked out and got a $140 K&N Xstream air filter assembly out of the
scratch and dent bin for $50.  Someone simply returned it without the
package or hold down stud.

As for actually making one, There are several ways to go about it.  I have a
book with a dimensioned drawing of a small block Chevy.  Forget if I found a
dimensioned drawing of an Oldsmobile block.

Once you have both of those drawings it will be simple geometry to set up
the coordinates of each hole then put it on a mill.  The mill I have access
to is not for personnel use but they sort of look the other way if you go in
when nobody needs it and use your own tooling.

Then in a not so easy way you can put a straight edge at the bottom of your
part, then use a square to draw out the locations then carefully drill out
on a drill press or by hand.

There is a third option that requires the least amount of
measuring/dimensioned drawing.  Use transfer punches.  They are specifically
made for doings stuff like this.  They are a round cylinder with a small
cone tip.  Set the transmission on it's front flange, on top of the metal
for the adapter.  Find a transfer punch that just fits inside the hole, then
smack it with a hammer.  This would work best if you have a Chevy and a BOP
transmission setting there.  After the first one's pattern is transferred
drill out the holes and install dowel pins in the adapter to align the
second.

Another way you could align it is to maybe put a piece of pipe that just
fits over the input shaft of the transmission onto the adapter plate, weld
it down.  As long as it's ridged and lets the bell housing flange rest flush
you'll know the input shafts are centered.  Then using a straight edge along
the plate you can measure to a pair of bolt holes, one on each side.  When
the measurement is the same side to side then you know the bell housing
pattern is parallel to the straight edge

However the most important part in all this is to make sure you have good
steel stock with dimensional variance +-0.001  over it's surface.  When
looking into making my own I found the material would cost between $15-$20.
Then there is a great deal of time spent measuring.  At the time it was
averaging between 5-10 degrees F outside, and I didn't have much free time.
So the price of a Pre made adapter was just fine for me.  Was already
mentioned by another it was $58, I remember it being cheaper but don't feel
like digging out the receipt to check.

I also found a company that made a really nice 1/2'' aluminum adapter for
around $150 as I remember.  Could even get them as a large rectangle to use
as a "motor" plate.  They actually came with inserts for the crank to center
the torque converter.  Which makes it more of a straight bolt in, then
having to rotate the engine several times while snugging down the torque
converter screws.

I'm possibly going to buy one of the nice aluminum adapters or make one for
the 500 Cadillac going into a caprice.  Will probably end up buying one
since this is a common adapter and not looking like I'll have much free time
this summer.  Have to do the body work and paint the '85 caprice, mock up
the drivetrain, rebuild the engine, build accessory drive brackets, rebuild
a SBC to put in my beater car in place of the worn out 350 olds. Back half
an olds omega for a friend, and I'm sure some other stuff will come up.

Almost forgot, if you don't have a dimensioned drawing, you might get away
with using a tape measure but it would be so much easier and precise to use
dial calipers.  Basically just measure everything.  Since this application
shares the dowel pins you don't need to worry about centering to the input
shaft while measuring.

BTW, things don't need to be perfect, when I was reading about doing this
think the guideline I found was to be within 0.010''  For an automatic there
is some "wiggle room" with the TC splines, and the flexplate got that name
for a reason, it was designed to flex so production line variance in parts
didn't have to be so tight.

I've pretty much have gone on long enough, my advice though would just be to
buy one for $50, unless you can spare the time.  Now if you had some kind of
odd combination where the adapter cost $300 +(ford FE to GM 700r4) or an
application nobody makes, like some tractor transaxle to... maybe some early
1900's straight 8, most American v8's are covered into most tractors.  Think
you get my point.

Now if you already own a mill... and have drawings, or your mill is tall
enough to fit a transmission case or engine block in it.  You could machine
an adapter in an afternoon easy.  Key is it needs to have instrumentation on
it.

btw, If we are able to send pictures to the list now I could send out
pictures of the adapter installed on the engine, also with a transmission on
it.