[Gmecm] TBI Swap - Iron Duke Tech IV

Jay Vessels jay
Sat Feb 18 17:00:47 UTC 2006

Hi there!

There's lots on this in the archives, and I (obviously) need to go do
some reading, but I'm a bit confused about why this (triggering DIS ECM
with a distributor, or vice versa) won't work on the TBI case being
discussed (or for MPFI systems either). I'll quickly concede that SFI's
a different beast.

Let's use a V6/60 like the 2.8V6. The distributor will generate one
pulse per firing event, spaced 60 degrees apart. This goes to the ECM,
which then modifies the signal and sends it back to the EST module to
fire the plug. Still, the signal from the EST is one per cylinder, all
60 degrees apart. These pulses to the ECM do not change with ignition
timing.

The DIS is similar on this engine family. The ICM sends a pulse to the
ECM once per firing event, spaced 60 degrees apart. These pulses to the
ECM do not change with ignition timing.

I *assume* for the 4 cylinder case that the ICM generates one pulse
every 90 degrees, just like the distributor. If not, that could be a
show-stopper (since the distributor puts out a different pulse train)
but I'd be surprised if the DIS for the 4-cylinder did that.

The only difference appears to be the reference angle for the firing
event. The ICM (in the V6 case, anyway) is referenced at 60 degrees,
and the distributor is referenced at 0 degrees. For an application
using a distributor to trigger an ECM designed for DIS (i.e. 1227730
running $A1 for MPFI), couldn't the distributor just be installed at 60
degrees instead?

Or for the other case -- DIS module running a TBI ECM (i.e. a newer
V6/60 engine's DIS module hooked to a 1228062 TBI ECM), couldn't this be
handled by choosing how the plugs are wired?

Could the base timing value in the ECM be adjusted to compensate for
either case?

The whole problem of when the ECM is triggered relative to spark event
(base timing) seems pretty easy to overcome.

I understand that with DIS you can have much more advance because the
physical constraints of the rotor/terminal relationship are removed, but
that's a matter of tuning the tables to keep the spark timing in check,
right? Don't command too much timing and it's not an issue.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 (TBI pending)