[Gmecm] TBI Swap - Iron Duke Tech IV

Dustin Lof bubblesjrtwo
Sun Feb 19 13:18:57 UTC 2006

OK I just read Jays post, lets say we take the donor
olds 2.5 DIS car, it is a fully functioning driveable
car, lets unplug the four wire connector at the
ignition module, the one that leads to the ecm.  Days
later we forgot that we unpluged that and try to start
the car, what happens- it doesen't start, lets
troubleshoot, we start by listening for the fuel pump
when we turn the key on, yep that runs, now we take
the air cleaner off and plug in our noid light, crank
the engine, no light, we better check for 12v at the
injector, yep that fuse is good, let check spark, good
spark, wait a minute did you say good spark, why yes,
the ignition module converts the 6+1 pulses the crank
sensor generates in to a signal with 4 pulses spaced
90 deg apart this signal goes two places, one we like
to call primary ignition (when not in est mode).  The
second we call reference it is outputed to the ecm.
The module also dictates which coil fires on what
pulse, it does this using the +1 pulse from our 6+1
signal generated by the crank sensor.

So now we have a reference signal, a four pulse (per
crank revolution) five volt square wave, the same as
an older version of the same car using a distributor.
The functions of the four pins in the four wire
connector of the distributor is exactly the same as
the DIS module. I would bet that the electrical
connector is the same.

The only hang up, like Jay said is changing the base
timing ofset in the chip to make the tables come out.
so changing to an ecm like a 7747 wouldnt be a bad
idea.

The distributor I am refering to is the style using an
eight pin ignition module, small cap, push on rotor,
external coil, single pickup.  I posted a picture on
the ftp its called 2_5 distributor.jpg
ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/incoming/   there are 2.5s with
dual pickup distributors, mostly in S10 trucks, they
look similar but if you look close, there are more
wires.