[Gmecm] Bellhousing Design-Iron Duke

bcroe at juno.com bcroe
Sat Feb 18 18:01:57 UTC 2006

My method is a little like others described.  But no
expensive machines or error prone measuring used.

I would start with the engine block.  Get a rough metal
rectangle drilled for one guide pin.  Mark where the
other guide pin hits and drill the second hole.  Perhaps
drilling it a hair undersized and filing to fit is most
accurate.

Take about 1/2" of 3/8" NC threaded rod and tighten
on 2 nuts.  Chuck the nuts in a drill press.  Spin this
and use a file to form an (accurately centered) fairly
blunt point.  Now back the rod into one of the engine
threaded holes so that the point barely is above the
surface.  Put th plate over the guide pins and flat,
contacting the point.  Tap  the plate one good hit
right on top of the point.  Use a small bit to make an
accurate pilot hole, then use gradually increasing
bits up to 3/8".

Put the point in another hole, redoing the point as
required.  Put a fairly long bolt in the first 3/8" hole, so
that the unthreaded 3/8" dia part of the bolt is in the
3/8" drilled hole.

Hold the plate flat and do the next hole, and so on.
The round portion of the 3/8" bolts should hold things
in very accurate position.  After the job is complete,
all the 3/8" holes can be drilled 1/64" over (25/64")
to provide some tolerance.  But first do the trans
holes.

My plan works for the guide pins being the same,
engine and trans.  Trim the plate as required and
bolt it between the engine block and trans case.
Mark the trans holes still needed through the trans
holes, which are slightly oversized.  Taking your
pointed rod and putting some tape on it will allow
a close fit.  Tap it to mark center.  A black marker can
be pretty close, if you are square when sighting, and
start with a center punch.

Bruce Roe