[Gmecm] MECAL reprogramming

David Allen davida1
Sun Feb 26 04:35:50 UTC 2006

  Thankfully I can solder better than I can type!
  Steve, I will look into those boards you mention.
  I picked a few extra Memcals at the junkyard for spares.  The idea of an
EEPROM is enticing, however I'm not into it that far yet!  When I tune with
the Romulator device, it's easy to get things dialed in before programming
the first chip. Erasing hasn't been a big issue.
  When I first started chip programming I debated whether to buy a Romulator
and in hindsight, it was worth its weight on gold!  It is as close to magic
as you can come.  It is truly real-time, and cost less than one
custom-programmable ECM.
  I think of the hundreds of changes made to the calibration on my turbo
engine, and how long it would have taken to perfect that if I had erased and
programmed a chip each time.
  I like the idea of taking a Memcal, plugging the complete thing into the
programmer, reading it and saving the BIN then being able to quickly erase
it (without soldering in a different chip) and reprogram it.  No pry marks
or soldering iron scorch marks on it or anything. :-)
  My eraser is really small but it erases fast, like 10 minutes.  The
hole-in-top modification was originally to allow erasing something else
without removing it from a carrier. It just happens to work well for a
Memcal, also. (Just remember it will do in 10 minutes what a week of full
sunlight will do.  Close the door when no chip covers the lamp.)
  I think I have about got an adapter made.....
  Thanks,
David