[Gmecm] Class2 DIY tools?

Jay Vessels jay
Sun Jan 8 20:31:13 UTC 2006

Hi there!

I figure I screwed something up when I changed the heater core.  The BCM
had to come out, and at one point I removed the IPC, too.  Everything
worked fine after reassembly for almost a week, then my wife says the
she lost the fuel gauge, speedometer, and some of the indicators.
Judging by the Techline CD shop manual, the things I lost were all over
the Class2 bus, and the things that still work (tachometer, voltmeter,
oil pressure, SIR indicator) are independent of that bus.  This smells
like I damaged part of the harness; on this truck, the entire dash
assembly has to come out, so the odds of a loose ground or pinched wire
is decent.

It still ran, though, until last night.  I have had the battery
disconnected and reconnected a few times.  Once while the battery was
disconnected I disconnected the BCM wiring to make sure I didn't have a
bent pin, and after reconnecting it and reconnecting the battery, it
failed to run.  It starts and then immediately dies, as if the Passlock
code didn't get sent to the PCM.  I'm not sure what I disturbed to break
that, but I'm wondering if whatever caused the IPC to lose Class2 data
is now causing the Passlock failure.

I'm calling this Class2 since that is what the Techline CDs are calling
it.  It's a '99 model truck.  I'm certainly no expert on this.  My day
job is writing firmware for inkjet printers, not servicing GM cars.

I wonder if I've got a BCM or BCM wiring issue -- I just tried a quickie
test:  I armed the factory content theft deterrent with the key fob (the
fob still locks and unlocks the doors) with the window rolled down.  I
unlocked the door by reaching in and unlocking it manually, then opened
the door.  Normally that sets the alarm off, but this time it didn't.
If I remember right, the BCM is responsible for those functions.  Hmmm...

Steve, I am definitely interested in a DIY cable for VPW communications.
  Unfortunately I'm not sure if the BCM/IPC messages are documented or
not.  I've never seen them documented anywhere.

Jay Vessels
1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
1984 Chevrolet S-10 Blazer Sport, 2.8V6 (TBI pending)
1999 Oldsmobile Bravada, 4.3V6 CSFI (wife's truck) <- being a pain