[Gmecm] Class2 DIY tools?

Phillip Kuhn pmkls1
Wed Jan 11 15:17:12 UTC 2006

Well, you are right on except the catera wasn't a CAN
or LAN vehicle it was just really retarded lol. I
don't know what the difference between a catera and
other GM vehicles was that aftermarket scan tools dont
work with them other than the fact that they were
manufactured in germany by opel. The catera actually
was gone a couple of years before CAN vehicles
arrived. The catera did use a class 2 data bus but all
of the electronics on those cars are completely
different than a "normal" gm car and information about
how they work is limited even to GM technicians. As
far as a CAN adapter you answered my question as I
wasnt sure of the availability of such for an
aftermarket tool. And as far as the bravada goes there
are a couple of things you still need a tech 2 and
access to an online connection to do but that is
mostly for programming that wouldnt necessarily be
considered as normal troubleshooting. And like I said
from what I have been told about the capabilities of
aftermarket scan tools the one you are using is
capable of far more than the otc can do.