[Gmecm] OBD2 project

Craig Moates craig
Mon Jul 3 04:21:41 UTC 2006

Sounds like a good thing!

Best regards,
Craig Moates

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Ravet" <Steve.Ravet at arm.com>
To: <gmecm at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:35 PM
Subject: [Gmecm] OBD2 project

Hi Craig, welcome back...

> A couple new projects rolling on my bench right now, here's
> the short list:
> - 16x8mbit RT emulator for GM LS1+LB7+V6 etc (this is my
> favorite project right now!)
> - Honda-based all-in-one internal emulator/datalogger
> - Ford-based 16-program chip module
> - Integrated/modular Ford NVRAM-based RT emulator / RAM
> shadower/datalogger
> - Some wireless stuff via Bluetooth/BlueRadios
> - Standalone handheld datalogger/storage/display box for GM OBD1
> - Some RC5 stuff for remote control / keypad substitution
> - Some OBD2 stuff, including some ISO 'spoofing' for OBD1/2
> conversions Been pretty heavy into VHDL/CPLD logic as well as
> the 8-bit Atmel AVR stuff for a while now. Kinda enjoying
> doing new circuit layouts and firmware developments when I
> can find the time.

Sounds like you've been keeping busy.

Just today, I got the PCBs back for my project.  It's a USB to VPW
board, that you can use to do scan tool functions or reflash OBD2 GM
computers.  I haven't bought the components yet, so still have to do
that and then test.  The firmware should be working, though, I was able
to write and test it on a PIC demo board that I bought.

It'll connect to a PC via USB and to a PCM via the DLC and J1850
protocol.

I'm going to test the hardware and write some simple software to demo
it.  Then I'm hoping that others will pick up the ball and create scan
tool software that works with it (or existing software ported to work
with it).

The circuits and layouts will all be GPLed when it's working.  Hopefully
this will pique some interest among some of the software types on the
list...

--steve

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any
purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.