[Gmecm] Cold start problem

Bill - Comcast b.shaw
Fri Jul 7 04:18:09 UTC 2006

I'm having a cold start problem on my wife's '88 Buick Century wagon and
am looking for some advise.  This is a 3.8L v6 with DIS. When trying to
start it will crank a second or 2 then fire and then backfire and
stall.  We have to try 10 to 15 times before it will finally wheeze to
life.  Once it starts it runs fine,  no skips or hesitation.  The
problem occurs only when it's stone cold, after running for even a
minute it will repeatedly start fine.  It's not setting any codes so I'm
not getting any help from the ECM.

This started suddenly a couple of days ago.  Before that it fired up
quickly warm or cold and ran well.  I thought maybe something weird with
the CTS ( remember, no codes) so I changed it (it was cheap and easy
anyways) but it made no difference.  Anyone have a thought on what to
look at next?

Thanks,

Bill