[Gmecm] Cold start problem

Scott Peitzsch jlg-sep
Fri Jul 7 11:14:19 UTC 2006

> I'm having a cold start problem on my wife's '88 Buick Century wagon and
> am looking for some advise.  This is a 3.8L v6 with DIS. When trying to
> start it will crank a second or 2 then fire and then backfire and
> stall.  We have to try 10 to 15 times before it will finally wheeze to
> life.  Once it starts it runs fine,  no skips or hesitation.  The
> problem occurs only when it's stone cold, after running for even a
> minute it will repeatedly start fine.  It's not setting any codes so I'm
> not getting any help from the ECM.
>
> This started suddenly a couple of days ago.  Before that it fired up
> quickly warm or cold and ran well.  I thought maybe something weird with
> the CTS ( remember, no codes) so I changed it (it was cheap and easy
> anyways) but it made no difference.  Anyone have a thought on what to
> look at next?

My first instinct would be an ignition timing issue.  I'd check the timing
with a light while cranking and see where its at.  If its way out of spec,
you may have a problem with the ignition module, since this sets timing
during cranking while in Bypass mode.  On this engine, the module is the
entire base to which the (3) DIS coils mount.

When not in Bypass mode (under ECM control), it might be just fine.

-Scott