[Gmecm] 305 TBI Hesitation

Steve Ravet Steve.Ravet
Mon Jul 10 02:08:54 UTC 2006

> THis one has plagued me for a year now and like a man it is
> finally time to ask for help.
> The Project:
> 305 CID Small block TBI  7747.
> I'M  trying to figure out two things still. I have a high
> idle problem that cannot be lowered by altering convention
> cell settings for the idle. Something in another area is
> holding the idle up to 1100 RPM no matter what is done, it is
> not mechanical. The computer wants to increase the idle in
> gear at a stop sign.
> This might be related as well .If the throttle is opened up
> slowly under load, the engine hesitates or stumbles as though
> it is going lean. If you let off the throttle ( around 1100
> RPM ), it hesitates and
> the engine surges back as though it went suddenly went rich.   Now if
> you step on it Hard, the engine jumps with all kinds of power
> and runs as it should. My question is has any run into this
> before and which cells are responsible or maybe over riding
> the others? I need some more heads on this one....Fred

I had a similar problem some time ago, you can search in the archives
for "creepy idle".  With a scan tool I could see the "desired idle rpm"
creeping up while stopped and in gear.  From a fully warmed up desired
RPM of 550 it would slowly creep up to 800 or so, opening the IAC to 180
or more in the process.  I got used to shifting to neutral when coming
to a stop.  While looking into it I discovered that a wiring error meant
that my P/N switch had never been connected correctly.  It was always
indicating in gear.  (This is a swap project, 350 TBI into an S-10
Blazer, I've been driving it for 9 years now).

Fixing that, however, did not solve the problem.  Unfortunately I don't
know what did solve it, as it just gradually quit doing it.  I checked
CTS, VSS, etc. on the scan tool and all were correct.  There were some
other suggestions in response to my original post that I never got
around to trying, you might try to dig them up.

--steve

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.