[Gmecm] Re: [Gmecm] 305 TBI Hesitation

Steve Ravet Steve.Ravet
Mon Jul 10 15:40:38 UTC 2006

My reported battery voltage was also correct.  This idle problem arose
after years of OK operation, even though the P/N switch wasn't
connected.  It didn't seem likely that the computer or calibration would
be wrong in this case so I didn't pursue that.  Some reading on the
thirdgen board turned up a possibility.  When AIR is enabled some
calibrations change the O2 switchpoint slightly to compensate for the
air being added to the exhaust stream.  I removed the AIR pump on mine,
and the timing of that may correspond with the start of my idle
problems.  BUT, in my case the O2 sensor is in the driver's side
downpipe, and the only AIR fittings are on the passenger side.  So maybe
not.

The other thing I meant to mention last night is that there is a very
comprehensive document about the TBI idle strategy on the gmecm page.
Lots of tables and data values and a very good discussion of what they
do.  So if you wanted to dive into the idle routines and tables start by
reading that.

Something else I did while troubleshooting this was to jumper the A/B
connectors with the key on (fully seats the IAC) then disconnect the
IAC.  Then start the engine.  It will probably barely idle.  Plug the
IAC back in, put the trans in gear, wait for the ECM to bring the engine
up to a reasonable speed, then unplug the IAC again, this time leave it
disconnected.  David's solution is better since you still get stall
saver and other features with the ECM controlling idle, but this worked
in a pinch.

--steve

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.