[Gmecm] Re: TBI 350

Steve Ravet Steve.Ravet
Thu Jul 13 15:12:53 UTC 2006

The vacuum regulator is meant to keep a constant pressure across a port
style injector, so that a given pulse width flows the same amount of
fuel under all manifold conditions.  This is because the nozzle of a
port style injector is exposed to manifold air pressure.  The change in
vacuum from 18 inHg at idle to 0 at WOT is a change of 9 psi across the
injector.  With a vacuum referenced regulator the injector always sees a
constant pressure from inlet to outlet, and therefore always flows a
consistent amount of fuel.

Your TBI injector isn't exposed to vacuum, it's exposed to ambient air,
therefore it needs a constant input pressure.  The calculations and
tables inside the ECM assume that the injector flow is proportional to
pulsewidth, not also proportional to MAP or other factors.  You can add
a vacuum referenced regulator but in the long run when everything is
running right you will have ended up tuning out the effect of the rising
rate regulator in your VE tables.

> I have ordered a fuel pressure gauge with Schraeder-valve
> adapter and paid for next-day-air shipping, so hopefully by
> Saturday I will be able to report exactly what the fuel
> pressure is at idle and at wide-open throttle.

Good.  Until you've done some diagnostic work, the speculation is just
farting into the wind.

--steve

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.