[Gmecm] Re: TBI 350

Jared Ryan jryan
Thu Jul 13 05:11:26 UTC 2006

The more I think about it, the more I wonder if this engine would really benefit from the vacuum-controlled regulator.  The issue seems to be that if I raise the pressure enough that it doesn't ping on acceleration, it doesn't idle very well at all.  The vacuum-controlled regulator would seem to address that very issue.

Here is what I don't understand: is there some minimum duty cycle of the injectors?  If I raise the fuel pressure, I increase the amount of fuel that comes out of each injector in each pulse.  Why, then, does the ECM just not pulse the injectors less often, to lean out the mixture at idle?  It's this part of the programming that I don't understand.  I thought, when I put the adjustable regulator on, that the ECM would just compensate and everything would be right.

I do need to say that even though the idle is horrible right now, it starts *very* fast, especially when cold.  With the old stock non-adjustable regulator, it took a few seconds of cranking to get it to start, especially when cold.  With the JET adjustable regulator at its minimum pressure, it starts very quickly, as fast as a carburetor-equipped engine with choke set exactly right.

I have ordered a fuel pressure gauge with Schraeder-valve adapter and paid for next-day-air shipping, so hopefully by Saturday I will be able to report exactly what the fuel pressure is at idle and at wide-open throttle.

I will look at the Lindertech material you mentioned and try to learn more while I wait for the pressure gauge.

 - Jared Ryan [jryan at caminofx.org]