[Gmecm] Acquiring ECM schematic

Ryan Hess rgmecm
Fri Jun 16 18:00:05 UTC 2006

I was hoping you wouldn't say that.  ;)

I believe the 8331 uses the same processor as the 2240, the 16139860, aka the 6811 with 1k extra sram.  It uses a simular daughterboard for the CPU and memcal.  The idle control motor is actually just a motor that acts directly on the throttle.  +12V one way opens it, reverse the connections it closes it.  Actually Ludis got most of the hard work taken care of.  It's just figuring out what a few of these odd IC's do.  Such as this "16089396" which is an SOIC with 28 pins, and is probably some kind of ram...  Or what this 28763 does.  (possibly/probably the ISM driver)

Ryan

Webmaster at lotus-carlton.fsnet.co.uk wrote: It's just hard work. I'd suggest prinitng out my schematic, and some of those on Ludis's site. It's unlikely that there are very many different chips used in your ECM than in all the others. You'll find GM re-used known working circuits. The microprocessor section is likely to be identical. Where they re-used circuits, it's extremely likely that your ECM has exactly the same circuit diagram.

I was told the '8331 had everything, including the kitchen sink. Most of the circuitry is the same as on other ECM's. It's just the DIS/Ignition interface that's different. Oh - and the SFI stuff.

IAC valve is usually a 2 phase stepper motor. Is yours different? I know most European/Bosch systems use a kind of PWM driver.

Once you've decided basically what's going on, you have to sit down with a voltmeter set to 'ohms' or better still 'diode buzzer' and buzz out the connections between the individual components. Start with the power and ground connections, and then trace out the signal wiring. Boring and time consuming, but it's the only way I know.

Cheers,
Malcolm

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Hess [SMTP:rgmecm at yahoo.com]
Sent: 16 June 2006 16:51
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Subject: RE: [Gmecm] Acquiring ECM schematic

Thanks much, Malcolm.  Now if Steve would just move it to the readable
directory... :p

Now do you or anyone else have any suggestions on where to start with
creating a schematic from an undocumented ECM?  I'm not familiar with
the processes of going from a board to a schematic.   The ECM I have here
(16132240) is extremely similar to the 8331, except that it uses some
odd chip instead of an IAC driver.  Sequential V8, lots of I/O...
Perhaps the biggest difference is it's cheap and in junkyards everywhere.
Thanks,

Ryan