[Gmecm] memcal report

Dave Williams ronin
Mon Jun 19 05:50:43 UTC 2006

  I'm running a Lumina DIS memcal (stock) with a 2.5 TBI Chevy four,
with distributor.  Various people have claimed the DIS and distributor
code have differences in dwell timing, among other things, but it
starts, runs, and I've driven it around the neighborhood.  I don't have
plates on the truck, so I haven't driven it any further.

  The other day, as an experiment, I plugged in a memcal for a 2.0 OHC
port injection DIS motor.  The 2.5 started and ran.  I didn't drive it,
and I have no idea what horrible mismatches there might have been with
the gazintas and gazoutas, but it started and idled just like the Lumina
memcal.

  I then tried a Turbo Sunbird memcal.  The 2.5 started and idled with
that one, too.

  This indicates to me that the resistor networks are all pretty
similar, at least enough for the engine to start and run.  It was
interesting that TBI/PFI and DIS/dist didn't seem to make any difference.