[Gmecm] VSS

Rick McLeod dunvegan
Mon Jun 19 15:57:22 UTC 2006

Another way to 'check' calibration vs. milemarkers is a handheld GPS

----- Original Message ----
From: bcroe at juno.com
To: gmecm at diy-efi.org
Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2006 11:09:41 PM
Subject: [Gmecm] VSS

I would suggest this to check accuracy.  Spin the speedo
cable at a constant speed.  I use the induction motor (don't
use a brush motor) on my drill press to spin a spare cable,
motor reversed.  The pulleys let me pick several relevant
speeds.  Use a stopwatch to time exactly how many
seconds for the odometer to roll 1 mile.  Divide the seconds
into 3600, and you have the exact MPH the speedo should
be reading (as compared to what its really reading).

If the speedo is adjusted to match the odometer as above,
its then a matter of comparing your odometer against
some good mile markers, change trans speedo gears to
get a match.  Go 10 miles since individual mile markers
may be off a bit.  There is no particular speed required
to do this.

Bruce Roe