[Gmecm] '7747: Back to tuning after 4-year hiatus

Craig Moates craig
Thu Jun 29 21:41:54 UTC 2006

John,

Have you seen the new EBL and UltimateTBI stuff from here: http://www.dynamicefi.com/
Real nice, they put some good work into the development. High-speed data, imbedded functionality, and a new code base to deal with
pesky TBI-specific issues of the 747.

Best regards,
Craig Moates

----- Original Message -----
From: <john.c.mccracken at comcast.net>
To: <gmecm at diy-efi.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:34 PM
Subject: [Gmecm] '7747: Back to tuning after 4-year hiatus

> Hello all,
>
> I have a 4.2L powered Jeep on which I installed a '7747 controlled TBI system in 2001 - 2002.  At that time, I went through
several iterations of programs eventually making the Jeep run consistently "fair".  Due to other things going on in life and career,
I was content with "fair" ... but now I want to get back into the code and make it run "good".

> Some background:  I still have my Pocket Programmer II, EPROM eraser, Auto X-Ray, and a WinALDL cable (but I've never actually run
WinALDL) ... and I see that WinBin and TunerCat are still available.  I still have my old ECU files and a history of my BIN files.
The Jeep is now a trail rig with limited on-road operation.  Its a 4.2L with stock intake manifold and headers.  I am running ECU
controlled timing.  The cam is a little more than stock ... a Crower RV or off-road cam (I'm sure I can find cam data if necessary).

> Because of some changes that I have made to this Jeep during my hiatus (making it a little closer to mechanically stock), I
believe I would like to start over again with my program.  My first thought is to start with off-the-shelf Howell code.  Is that
code available from anyone?  Barring that, can anyone recommend a good place to start (again).  Perhaps someone has a good running
Jeep 4.2L code that they can share?

> My major issues, currently, are:
> 1.  An unsteady idle ... particularly when its cool and cold outside.  I know that, because of a big Clifford intake manifold that
I used to run, I fiddled with the IAC time delays and accelerator pump constants (and maybe some other stuff).
> 2.  It seems down on power compared to some carbureted Jeeps I've been in.
> 3.  Runs rich across the board (not drastically so), but is very rich in some areas (RPM and load).
>
> Bottom line, I'm can't remember what all I did to the my code in the past in deviating from some start point (probably a Howell
code); and I've made some mechanical modifications to the driveline.  I'd like to start again with a known and solid code.