[Gmecm] '7747: Back to tuning after 4-year hiatus

john.c.mccracken at comcast.net john.c.mccracken
Thu Jun 29 19:34:22 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I have a 4.2L powered Jeep on which I installed a '7747 controlled TBI system in 2001 - 2002.  At that time, I went through several iterations of programs eventually making the Jeep run consistently "fair".  Due to other things going on in life and career, I was content with "fair" ... but now I want to get back into the code and make it run "good".

Some background:  I still have my Pocket Programmer II, EPROM eraser, Auto X-Ray, and a WinALDL cable (but I've never actually run WinALDL) ... and I see that WinBin and TunerCat are still available.  I still have my old ECU files and a history of my BIN files.  The Jeep is now a trail rig with limited on-road operation.  Its a 4.2L with stock intake manifold and headers.  I am running ECU controlled timing.  The cam is a little more than stock ... a Crower RV or off-road cam (I'm sure I can find cam data if necessary).

Because of some changes that I have made to this Jeep during my hiatus (making it a little closer to mechanically stock), I believe I would like to start over again with my program.  My first thought is to start with off-the-shelf Howell code.  Is that code available from anyone?  Barring that, can anyone recommend a good place to start (again).  Perhaps someone has a good running Jeep 4.2L code that they can share?

My major issues, currently, are:
1.  An unsteady idle ... particularly when its cool and cold outside.  I know that, because of a big Clifford intake manifold that I used to run, I fiddled with the IAC time delays and accelerator pump constants (and maybe some other stuff).
2.  It seems down on power compared to some carbureted Jeeps I've been in.
3.  Runs rich across the board (not drastically so), but is very rich in some areas (RPM and load).

Bottom line, I'm can't remember what all I did to the my code in the past in deviating from some start point (probably a Howell code); and I've made some mechanical modifications to the driveline.  I'd like to start again with a known and solid code.

Thanks in advance,
John