[Gmecm] Geting rid of electronic transmission.

davesnothereman at netscape.net davesnothereman
Thu Mar 2 04:20:33 UTC 2006

For perspective, the 700R4 has taken somewhere around 15 years for the
combination of GM and the aftermarket to fix.  GM's answer is really
about the best, remove the valve body and replace it with solenoids.
Although there are some good fixes for the mechanical version in the
aftermarket.  But I agree that there are too many failures in the
700R4/4L60E trans family.  The E series failures seem to be most common
in V6 powered trucks, especially S series vehicles.  Prolly a
combination of vehicle weight, insuficient cooling, and excessive
shifting and converter locking/ unlocking.  It was no surprise when a
friend asked me in December if he could replace his 4L60E with a 700R4,
just to keep the beater running.  What better opportunity to find out
if it will work?  The ecm performed with no problems... didn't even
light the check engine light (to my surprise).  We rewired the TCC
through the brake switch and the 4th gear switch in the trans so he'd
get lockup and converter cooling in 4th, and all was well.  For about a
month... then the 700R4 died.  And last month, his next beater, an Olds
Bravada with 4L60E, puked a trans also. lol!

So go ahead and make the swap.  Don't forget to make sure the TV cable
is connected and adjusted properly.  I've seen 700R4's die in less than
a week due to misadjustment.

Zaphod