[Gmecm] Re: Geting rid of electronic transmission.

davesnothereman at netscape.net davesnothereman
Thu Mar 2 23:38:53 UTC 2006

>>  Where did this idea come from that the cooler only work in tcc
mode?
 From a GM trans class, based on observed fluid flow.  I've been down
this road too many times with guys that thought they knew better.
Pissed a service manager off so much when he lost his own trans trying
to prove he could drive with TCC unlocked in 4th that I had a hard time
getting decent jobs for a month.  But he never, never asked me to
disconnect one again.  At another place the shop truck was burning up
trans left and right.  The lead tech kept changing them... I noticed he
didn't connect tcc on brand new SRTA replacement.  "Not needed" says
he, "I've been disconnecting them for years on Vettes."  Trans was dead
within a month.  Next trans with tcc connected lived until at least 3
years later when I left.  I've got other stories... too many.

Spend some time looking at when and where GM locks or unlocks the TCC
in vehicles with the 4L60 family of trans.  In OEM configuration, at
least after about 86, the converter stays locked for far longer than it
should.  And when it should unlock, there's generally a downshift
instead.  Over the years the aftermarket has come up with many ways to
straighten the issue out.  Change lockup and shift points, then use
better frictions, modify clutch pack stackup to increase the number of
frictions, install better cooling,... and it works, no doubt.  But OEM
stuff doesn't like to be run with TCC unlocked in 4th.

As far as I'm concerned, if you want your trans to live a long and
happy life, lockup 4th.

>>And we all know that everyone CLAIMS to not tow with that s10 right?
The majority of them don't.  It's not a tough call to look at the rear
of a truck to see if a hitch was installed.  In rusty states, it's
almost impossible to miss noticing when one's been removed.

I've also had decent luck with Jasper transmissions.  I've had very
good luck with Jasper customer service in the cases where the trans
wasn't right.

Zaphod

Try the New Netscape Mail Today!
http://mail.netscape.com