[Gmecm] Re: Geting rid of electronic transmission.

Danny Sauer diy-efi
Thu Mar 2 18:20:57 UTC 2006

Andrew wrote regarding '[Gmecm] Re: Geting rid of electronic transmission.' on Thu, Mar 02 at 11:33:
> So anytime a gm trans pump is spinning, the cooler is flowing.

A feature which is nice when it comes time to change the fluid.
Disconnect the feed line from the cooler and point it into a bucket.
Start the car and let it idle until a couple of quarts are pumped out,
shut the car off, add a couple quarts back in.  Repeat until you've
changed all of the fluid, or until the fluid that comes out looks
cleaner.  Optionally head out to NAPA and pick up an aerosol can of
trans cooler flush and run it back through the other line before
hooking the pressure line up - to backflush any crud from the cooler.

This doesn't address the filter, but does make the job easier, and you
can use the same method to pump down the pan some before unbolting it
when it's time to change the filter.  Besides, what's better - old
burned up / broken down fluid and an old filter, or new fluid and an
old filter that's probably fine anyway since the trans is a sealed
system? :)

> Personally I would have the 4L60E rebuilt with coimmercial clutch
> packs or get a dyno tested model from Jasper.

A quick check on any of the F-body forums (or the '94-'96 Impala
forums) will turn up a good list of respecatable 4L60E builders as
well.  There are some people running fairly serious power through
those things...

--Danny