[Gmecm] Re: Geting rid of electronic transmission.

Andrew Gibson andrewsharyn
Thu Mar 2 17:32:07 UTC 2006

Where did this idea come from that the cooler only work in tcc mode? The cooler is needed when the tcc is unlocked, not locked up (Think about the heat generated in non lockup) And the cooler flow comes off the return side of the torque conveter fill circuit. So anytime a gm trans pump is spinning, the cooler is flowing. Besides the cooler runs the lube circuit for all the gears and bushings. It's vital to flow always.

  Another note: The 4l60e and 700r4 are very close in design. The 4l60e uses electronics to control the shifting, more pinons in the planets, more clutches and bigger center support.  The 4l60e can also be reprogrammed for harder shifting and change the shift points. All the the ecm (That's what this site is about right?) The reason for high failures in the smaller vehicles? Gm double stacked the steels in the 3-4 clutch pack for a softer shift. That makes it more suceptible to slippage. And we all know that everyone CLAIMS to not tow with that s10 right? Personally I would have the 4L60E rebuilt with coimmercial clutch packs or get a dyno tested model from Jasper.

  As for running 4th lockup all the time: The tcc cannot handle the load of towing very well. And if you do a upshift in lockup at WOT internal trans parts get broken. The tcc needs to disengage so the torque converter can absorb some of the shock.

  I hope this helps clarify some of the misinformation out there.

Yahoo! Mail