[Gmecm] Was: Geting rid of electronic transmission.

Garrett Herning herningg
Mon Mar 6 04:25:48 UTC 2006

Hi Don,

Where I work we make all kinds of equipt to test transmissions and trans
parts. (Zoom Technology, Inc... anyone in the trans market has probably
heard of us). At any rate, the force motor is nothing more than a pressure
regulator for mainline into the valve body... We have a solenoid tester and
can run either solenoid at multiple frequencies and I've never really seen
any differece in pressure vs current response between 292.5Hz and 614 Hz...
all they are doing is PWMing to get an average current to it. All you want
is the PWM frequency to be much higher than the mechanical response of the
solenoid so you don't get it buzzing with the frequency. Other than that it
just sort of regualtes pressure along with the TPS signal (stomp the gas and
it'll jump mainline up... ease off and it pulls it down)

IMHO I don't see any reason the '94 PCM wounld't run the '96 trans just
fine. The cleaning pulse is just a quick twitch every so often to keep the
older force motors from building up dirt and sticking... I guess the new one
was built better so it couldnt do that... having it do that every so often
won't hurt it at all.

Hope this helps!

Garrett Herning