[Gmecm] Was: Geting rid of electronic transmission.

Don Sauman donsauman
Mon Mar 6 04:01:49 UTC 2006

I have been following all of this with some interest.

In the spirit of efi and I guess PCMs, I will probably need to reprogram
an OBD-I PCM (Don't really want to deal with OBD-II if I can avoid it)
to deal with the changed force motor in the 4L80-E autotrans. Previously
it operated at 292.5 Hz level but in 1994 was changed to 614 Hz level.

I have a 1996 trans, and a pre-1994 PCM is being sent to me.

Can someone who is knowledgeable explain how the force motor works
(perhaps it is solenoid PWM?) and how the PCM may need to be altered to
suit the upgraded force motor. Going back to an earlier force motor is
not an option is not an option as the torque signal feed passage is no
longer drilled.

Also, according to the ATSG Manual, with the new design force motor, the
need for the cleaning cycle is eliminated, so the force motor is no
longer pulsed every 10 seconds by the PCM/TCM.

The new force motor (8684216) is applicable to 1994- up 4L80-E, 4L60-E,
and 4T80-E transmissions.

Cheers
Don

--