[Gmecm] Heated O2 Current Draw

Danny Sauer diy-efi
Wed Mar 8 04:31:09 UTC 2006

Joe wrote regarding 'RE: [Gmecm] Heated O2 Current Draw' on Tue, Mar
07 at 14:54:
> > Several inexpensive meters will go "poof" if you run more than an amp
> > or so through them, even more when you get up to the 10 amp range.
>
> It's fused, whack it!!! :D
>
> > You're right, though, directly measuring the current would be more
> > accurate - and involve less division. :)
>
> I was thinking put it on the 10A scale right away as it will
> probably be more than an amp but less than 10.

Just a note - the 10A scale often isn't fused.  I have at least one
meter whose other functions work fine, but whose 10A scale doesn't
work at all.  I was measuring voltage on the battery and then was
going to measure current draw with the key off.  I turned the dial,
moved the wires, and bang - the magic smoke was gone.  I had clipped
the leads to positive and ground and forgot to move them.  No fuse,
but definitely a burned off circuit trace.  And this was a meter I
paid about $175 for.  Doh.  I have a couple of other meters I've
dissasembled, and their "fuse" is just a lump of solder on a heavy
copper wire which will mlet off at a certain current (and temperature)
point.

So, though I certainly appreciate the humor, it seems an appropriate
time to mention the rather underwhelming construction of a lot of
meters. :)

--Danny, who'd actually use a clamp-on DC meter first, truth be told.
;)