[Gmecm] list changes and appeal

Danny Sauer diy-efi
Fri Mar 10 13:09:48 UTC 2006

Wikis in general record a full change history, so a user with
administrative priviledges (or a regular user, depending on the setup)
can always roll a page back to the previous state if someone does
something stupid - or accidental.

In the specific case of twiki (which is a specific kind of wiki, kinda
like a Corvette is a kind of car), access control can be made fairly
fine-grained, such that pages can only be edited by certain people.
It's pretty easy for a person or group of people to set themselves up
to be notified via email whenever a page changes, too, so if you
either created the content or are concerned about the content, you can
add yourself to the list of people who are notified on changes.  Twiki
has lots of other cool features, and is IMHO one of the better wiki
packages.  The table markup is particularly neat, as are the myriad of
plugins.

Overall, while the "jerk" Internet users exist, there are just as
many who aren't.  The wikis online have overall shown that this really
isn't a huge problem.  Basically, if a wiki's unpopular, vandals won't
be visiting either.  By the time a wiki gets more popular and vandals
start showing up, the wiki's popular enough that lots of "good
citizens" are watching as well - enough to keep the vandals under
control.

--Danny