[Gmecm] Piggyback ignition modules

davesnothereman at netscape.net davesnothereman
Tue Mar 21 13:19:36 UTC 2006

Ok, this logic makes sense.

Here's an alternative to consider which may help you find your solution
a little faster.  The "7 pin" module used as the "primary" module,
connected (alone) to the pickup coil, will provide the REF signal
needed for the ecm and will trigger the ignition coil.  With the bypass
and EST wires disconnected, spark timing will be controlled by the
vacuum and mechanical advance mechanisms in the distributor.  The only
remaining job is to find a way to observe the ECM generated timing on
the EST line.  This can be done with a 2 channel oscilloscope, which
can be found on Ebay relatively inexpensively.  Or you could connect
the EST line directly to the output of your inductive timing light's
pickup coil.  But if you really want to use the 2nd module, wire only
the 2 pin power and 4 pin ECM connectors, leaving the pickup coil
connection open.  Connect power, ground (bolt the module to a grounded
heat sink), 5V bypass, and EST.  Tie coil- to a second coil.  Loop the
secondary wire of the extra coil through an open spark plug connected
to engine ground.  You'll need the voltage generated as the spark jumps
the gap in the open plug to trigger the timing light.

How is the TC file "incomplete?"  Are the limits not included?  Or are
they not set up to display correctly?  If you have the REF angle and /
or one of the limits, you can "read" the definition file using the
"tuner editor" and obtain the address of the values that are included.

If you have a disassembly of the code you're using, locating the limits
by hand may not be too difficult.  First, you'll be looking for an 8
bit value of about 170 decimal or AA hex representing the "base angle."
  You'll also be looking for a pair of 16 bit values, both of which are
likely negative (although one may be "zero").  Negative 16 bit values
start with FF, such as FFE4 and FF39.  You should see a difference of
about 170-180 decimal between the two limits, which are typically very
close to the beginning of the calibration data.  You can find
additional clues by searching through a disassembly for a code pattern
which looks something like this:

DC 60       LDD     L0060       ;
                        ;
B3 3F F6    SUBD    L3FF6       ;
8D 79       BSR     LAFEB       ; rts delay
                        ;
FD 3F E8    STD     L3FE8       ;
8D 74       BSR     LAFEB       ; rts delay
                        ;
F3 3F DC    ADDD    L3FDC       ;
8D 6F       BSR     LAFEB       ; rts delay
                        ;
93 5E       SUBD    L005E       ;
FD 3F E6        STD     L3FE6       ;
8D 68       BSR     LAFEB       ; rts delay
                        ;
DC 5E       LDD     L005E       ;
FD 3F DC        STD     L3FDC       ;
8D 61       BSR     LAFEB       ; rts delay
                        ;
DC 60       LDD     L0060       ;
FD 3F F6        STD     L3FF6       ;

Notice the repeating BSR (can also be a JSR) after only a line or two
of code?  If you follow the branch it leads only to an RTS, return from
subroutine.  This jump/ return cycle creates a delay of a few clock
pulses.  This is the code area which actually sends timing info to the
ignition hardware and it represents the "end" of timing calculations.
If you're using a P4 ecm, expect some of the addresses (0x3FF6, 0x3FDC,
0x3FE6) to be the same.  Working backward through the code from here,
look for addresses which reference data in the beginning of the
calibration data.  A big clue is that the data will be loaded as a 16
bit value, ldx, ldy, or ldd.  If you check back and forth, referencing
the data loaded at the location indicated, eventually you should find
the 16 bit limits.  If you can "speak" assembly, the limit sections are
fairly consistent in their coding.  You'll find something like:

ldd limitA
cmp timing limitA
BCC (or BGT)
std timing

This loads a limit, checks to see if the timing value is above a limit,
and replaces the timing value with the limit if the condition is true.
There's a similar section to make sure timing is not lower than a
second limit.

As far as the modules, the dual modules connected to the same pickup
coil may stall unexpectedly if engine speed suddenly drops for some
reason.  To me, reducing the chances for this are extremely important.
Creating the potential for trouble often leads to trouble.  Using the 7
pin module as the solitary trigger and REF signal generator will remove
this possibility, willl rely on factory electronics for reliability and
consistency, and will free you to concentrate on solving the timing
issue.

Just some thoughts.

Zaphod