[Gmecm] Piggyback ignition modules

Andrew Gibson andrewsharyn
Tue Mar 21 05:48:46 UTC 2006

>Do you need the dual modules?  A 7 pin module functions much like the
>earlier module without the 5V bypass signal.  And it will supply REF
>pulses for the ecm.

  With my future plans I do need them. I'm using a 1227748 ecm with 1bbl tbi. (Runs pretty good so far once it starts)  I need both modules at the moment because I need to sort out the timing tables in my bin file. Tuner Cat is the only one with a definition file and it's not complete as to the max/min timing values. Since this is a dis ecm, my truck definitely has a distributor, and I want est without buring up my engine in the process; I need to hook up an extra coil and timing light to play with different values to see what will happen.

  Once runnning the pickup coil can drive both modules. It just doesn't have enough umph when cranking. So somehow I need to amplify the signal, split it, put a resistor inline for the module taking all the signal, or something. In a few weeks when I figure out the timing stuff it shouldn't even be an issue, but I need my truck back and I can't afford to mess up the engine right now.

  Maybe I'll have to wirte a paper up on this when done so everyone can see a new option for the plentiful iron duke tbi setup. Hey if enough of us call one adapter company they might be willing to make a generic adaper to fit all the 1bbl intakes for gm, ford and jeep.