[Gmecm] Bench testing a GM waste-spark DIS ignition

Terminal Crazy Terminal_Crazy
Fri May 12 23:16:44 UTC 2006

On 12 May, Tomas J. Sokorai Sch. <tsokorai at xperts.cl> wrote:
> On Friday 12 May 2006 13:31, Steve Ravet wrote:
> > So your choices are non functional DIS, or rotorless distributor?
> > That's a tough one...

> It's not completely "rotorless", as It's running now, but with a rotor from
> 1982 that's now *very* corroded on the tip and the contact to the cap's
> graphite is not in very good shape.
> It's a rotor that has a centrifugal contact to earth, so that it works as a
> rev limiter. Talk about overengineering a rotor ;)

> > Is the rotor something that's available in the US?

> I don't think it's available over there, as it's a BMW from the old E21 "3"
> series, that was imported only in the 4cyl versions to the US, and mine is
> the 2.3 6cyl, k-jetronic mech. FI :(

This sounds similar to the rotor on my old Mercedes 280CE (motors around
1973 - 78 ). They had a spring loaded slide on the top which shorted to
ground at around 7000 rpm.. As an aside (going back 12 years) when i
ordered a dizzy cap. The cap that came arrived with the big flat (cable
comes out horizontal) fittings not the smaller ones like a spark
plug(vertical output). This was also listed as fitting  BMW 6pot motor.
These all ran various versions of Bosch FI, so it might be worth checking
out Mercedes dealers for similar parts. At a guess Porsches would have
similar Bosch FI from around the same time and also made 4Cylinder engines.

HTH

--
Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6
terminal_crazy at sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk