[Gmecm] Bench testing a GM waste-spark DIS ignition

Tomas J. Sokorai Sch. tsokorai
Fri May 12 21:27:01 UTC 2006

On Friday 12 May 2006 13:31, Steve Ravet wrote:
> So your choices are non functional DIS, or rotorless distributor?
> That's a tough one...

It's not completely "rotorless", as It's running now, but with a rotor from
1982 that's now *very* corroded on the tip and the contact to the cap's
graphite is not in very good shape.
It's a rotor that has a centrifugal contact to earth, so that it works as a
rev limiter. Talk about overengineering a rotor ;)

> Is the rotor something that's available in the US?

I don't think it's available over there, as it's a BMW from the old E21 "3"
series, that was imported only in the 4cyl versions to the US, and mine is
the 2.3 6cyl, k-jetronic mech. FI :(

Well, if the DIS setup doesen't work out, I will try to ask the BMW dealership
if they can get it from Germany or somewhere else, but I try to avoid
"bend-over" prices, specially regarding a car that has a market value of less
than the value of 95% of the cars on the street here :D

> workbench would be an easy way to test the module.  Do you have the
> bypass line to the module asserted so it will fire the coil on it's own?

asserted as in "5V applied"? I thought that the bypass line was kept at 0V
first, and then when the ECM got over X RPM, the line was brought to 5V ?

--
Tomas J. Sokorai Sch.