[Gmecm] Bench testing a GM waste-spark DIS ignition

Steve Ravet Steve.Ravet
Fri May 12 17:31:28 UTC 2006

> My only hope is that the sensor output is too low for the
> module to fire.
> The BMW sensor has only 80 Ohm impedance, comprared to the
> 800 from a GM crank sensor ... so the amount of coil wire
> difference is pretty hefty. In fact with my voltmeter on AC
> scale, I can't get readings, but for what I read, the GM
> sensor should put out some average volts that way.
> If I can't get it to fire with the soundcard idea, I'm
> tossing the DIS and keeping the crappy distributor that I
> can't get a rotor for.

So your choices are non functional DIS, or rotorless distributor?
That's a tough one...

Is the rotor something that's available in the US?

I think in this case putting a crank wheel on your drill, the drill in a
vise, and the sensor zip tied to a piece of wood screwed to your
workbench would be an easy way to test the module.  Do you have the
bypass line to the module asserted so it will fire the coil on it's own?

--steve

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.