[Gmecm] Back to square one

Robin Handley Robin
Sat May 13 19:40:29 UTC 2006

> The main VE tables cover up to 1 BAR.  In 2 BAR mode, higher pressures
> use a fuel multiplier against the 100 kPa entry for the appropriate
> rpm.  Spark tables cover the range from 30 kPa to 200 kPa.  I haven't
> looked through the code to see if flipping the 1 BAR bit forces the
> code to use the 20 to 100 kPa entries, or if it rescales the table for
> 100 kPa max with 2x the resolution.  If it's the latter, then the
> values in the timing tables would be incorrect for the MAP range they
> apply to.

According to PROMgrammer (which I can only assume is correct as it's a well
constructed tool), it is the latter. Not an issue, I know I have to
completely repopulate the SA and VE tables. :-)

> What I can say with certainty is that flipping the bit to 1 BAR and
> connecting to a 1 BAR sensor produced poor idle and driveability in my
> car.  I had no desire to chase the reason, I simply switched to a 2 BAR
> sensor.  I valued the time spent more than the potential for education.

I'm in a different boat. I am applying GMECM hardware and software to an
engine that never used it - so I know I've got mapping to do - but the
saving grace is that I intend to keep things simple. Many 'tweak' arrays
will get set to zero to make life bearable. After all, the GMECM has about
10x the number of adjustments that an aftermarket ECM provides (e.g.
MegaSquirt, Emerald M3D) and plenty of people are blatting around with those
running their engine's fuel and sparks.

> Wasn't making fun of you on the code modification.  I hope it didn't
> read that way.  That's just the way I talk sometimes.

No offence taken. :-)

> There used to be a turbo Sunbird calibration in the .bin library.   I'm
> not sure where they disappeared to.  Are you using a manual or
> automatic transmission?  If you want to send your mystery sunbird.bin
> calibration I can probably identify it for you.  There are several
> factory calibrations for the 'Birds.

Happy to send you the .BIN (in fact I have ended up with 2 over the years -
that have come from different sources, but they appear identical). I'm
curious what, in the .BIN, tells you which calibration is. Is the following
enough:?

PROMID = $0D53
DATECODE = $0D2A
SEQNUMB = $058C
KKPGMID = $58

> You can load the 4 cylinder calibration directly onto the memcal.
> There's no need to play with the 6 cylinder version.

Thanks.

This one: http://www.cruzers.com/~ludis/triplugecm.html ?

> The AYBN hac which is floating around was likely authored by the same
> person who wrote the 8D hack.  It's not complete, nor is it completely
> accurate.  But it is a decent starting point.  It's acceptable for use
> with the Sunbird code, although certain minor functions differ between
> the two applications.

I've spent all day going through a document that was brought to my attention
recently by another helpful lister, which was called Sunbird.doc. It seems
to be a differently formatted version of this:
http://www.sunflower.com/~leroy/P4/

I've been matching the calibration variables in that document with a text
export of my Sunbird .BIN from PROMgrammer. There is a massive amount of
agreement, but a few differences - which I wasn't expecting if the document
and the .BIN are Sunbird. I'd love to understand how that document fits in
with Sunbird and Sy/Ty $58 code. Can you help?

Thanks,

Robin