[Gmecm] Re: injection acronyms, injector placement

davesnothereman at netscape.net davesnothereman
Sun May 14 19:53:38 UTC 2006

GM 5.7, 6.2, and 6.5 are 3 common examples of indirect injected
engines.  Injection timing is critical... prechamber expansion is part
of the total timing.

I agree with the comment about band-aid methods.  But I've seen it work
well enough to produce 800HP from a 6 cyl engine.  In some cases there
simply are no methods to make ecm based changes, or there are no
injectors that can be used.  The GM 2.2 used from '92 to '97 uses a
one-off injector which cannot be easily upgraded.  Certain Northstar
and Quad 4 ecm's are still not "user tunable."  Do you tell someone to
forgo boost for an indefinite amount of time, or do you design and
install a band aid system which produces acceptable results until the
"right" way to tune becomes available?

I think you're right that many turbo kits don't include the proper
tools, and that the people installing these kits don't understand what
it takes to make a good add-on system.  Adding forced induction should
not include pouring in enough fuel to quench combustion.  Convering to
boost should entail adding the proper amount of fuel combined with
decreased spark advance.  The correct add-on tools do exist, the
overall desire seems to be lacking.

For every high tech solution, there is prehistoric thinker ready to
throw it out the window.

Zaphod