[Gmecm] Re: Bandaid turbo tuning

Mike V efi
Mon May 15 04:25:01 UTC 2006

At 05:53 PM 5/14/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>As evidenced by the carbeuretted manifolds for LS1's. That's just an
>enormous WTF all around.
>
>Another thing I really really don't get are the stand alone ignition
>controllers. People buy digital, PC programmable ignition controllers with
>65,443 bells and whistles... and then fuel the engine with a calibrated
>leak--err... carb.
>
>Talk about neanderthals.

  Let's say you have a big cam  LS-family engine that you
want to put in a street rod or race car.  A decent carb,
like say, a demon on an Edelbrock manifold would have
  you making great power numbers in oh, an hour or
two with 6PSI of fuel pressure and very few wires to connect.
Just affordable nuts & bolts.  No PC required (it's optional with MSD box)
and you benefit from the latest deep breathing port technology.
Let's face it, the majority of the Gen 3 V8's power numbers don't come
from computer fuel management.  It's port flow.  They are _really_ good..
According to the tests, the carby setup makes good power numbers.
I've drag raced for 30+ years and the last 15 or so have been with ECM
for fuel & spark management, but if the mission were to have a
fresh simple LSx powered dragster on the track next week with minimum
  $$, dyno time & tuning,  the carb setup is a hands down winner.
It boils down to your objectives.  Edelbrock's was to make a plug/play
system that makes it simple to use a great new engine design in just
about any application.  They are supposedly selling a bunch of them.
My only objection is that they insist on selling it as a whole
package.  Period.  They won't sell manifolds separately, and
the Edelbrock ignition box is not PC programmable like the MSD.
BTW, the Edelbrock carb manifold has injector kits available for max
effort EFI race apps, as the runners do flow more than most of the
currently available LS1 manifolds.  Well, at least the ones that cost
  less than $1200 each.
On a final note, there are classes in which EFI is verboten, but the
low-cost/big-power cylinder head tech of the new era engines
is desired.  MSD also sells a similar box for the late model Ford 4.6
engine IIRC.
mv