[Gmecm] Back to square one

Robin Handley Robin
Mon May 15 08:24:00 UTC 2006

> I was actually hoping you would tell me it's the 2.0 Vauxhall.  Are you
> aware that the engine you're using is a close cousin to the 2.0L engine
> used in the Pontiac Sunbird?  The Sunbird engine used with the 7749 is
> a C20LET, an 8V version with forged pistons and very poor port flow.
> Are you using a distributor in the Coscast head?  If your block and
> crank have provisions for the Bosch DIS system it's possible to switch
> to a Delco DIS module and use the 7749 or the 7730 / 7727 after some
> minor machine work.  While you're looking to switch engine management
> systems, I've been looking at 16V heads and Euro engines.

:-)

In fact the engine that I've recently fitted (after problems with my
original 20XE) is a C20XE, so that bit closer! I think the C20LET was fitted
to the Turbo Calibra - which is why I was wondering if it might have a 2 BAR
MAP sensor (I've seen 1 BAR MAP sensors in Cavaliers). I didn't realise that
it was only 8v, though. I believe that all the [C]20XEs have forged pistons
(and 16v heads designed by Cosworth), but only very early ones had heads
actually cast by Cosworth - and these are in short supply as the GM/Vx ones
go porous. I've got 2 porous ones, and one has had the oil gallery 'fix'
applied, unsuccessfully!

http://www.furyworld.fsnet.co.uk/Images/XE_Installed.jpg

This is a picture of my original 20XE - showing the locked up dizzy that I
use to trigger and to distribute the spark. Just to the right of the lap-top
you can see my MAP sensor. The original SFI system uses a crank sensor (many
more teeth than GMECM), cam phase sensor, and DIS module, but as I had to
use a dizzy trigger on the Crossflow, I went that way with the 20XE too, to
keep the transplant complexity down. I had to make a hybrid distributor to
do it, though, as I couldn't find a standard one that fitted the XE head and
had a reluctor trigger. All with the correct fitting seemed to be Hall
effect types. Still, it seems to work and, since (I understand) both the $8D
and $58 code fire all injectors at once, should be ok for injection. :-)

> :)  I also need the calibration to compare the checksum against.  But
> it's not necessary, the scan id was enough.  As I said, promid 3411
> (hex value  $0D53) is for AUWR3607.  You probably have the same
> calibration under different names.

Oops! Apologies. I don't know what went wrong with my hex conversion last
time!

Many thanks,

Robin